Posted on Friday, 11th June 2010 by Bill Bean
This month the sport everyone else in the world calls “football”, aptly named, has our attention. Since most of my attention is dedicated to The Web, I thought I’d start a list of the best world cup websites. This short list is only a start. I hope you’ll help me grow it.
- My favorite. The Onion guide to understanding World Cup soccer.
- Official South African government site for the event.
- Hyundai World Cup contest (One Million Balls promotion)
*Warning auto-play music. I hate that, but still cool.
- ESPN Soccernet
- Facebook fan page (oops…I mean Like page). Why aren’t there 1 million “likes?” Oh, yeah. Because it’s soccer.
- iTunes, iPhones, iApps for the iCup
- Mashable.com’s World Cup Hub
- UniWatch blog post (great site!)
- Flickr Group for the World Cup
- Coolest World Cup stadiums
- World Cup videos from The Daily Show
- 2010 World Cup on Google Trends. Very interesting!
- LIFE.com photo gallery of the opening ceremonies
- World Cup on Twitter
- Visa promotion on YouTube. People doing the crazy GOOOOOOOAAL cheers.
- And another YouTube channel — Nike Soccer.
- Main FIFA site has to be on the list.
- One of a countless number of world cup blogs covering the soccer spectacle.
That probably doesn’t scratch the surface of interesting World Cup websites but it’s a start. Let me know what you find. And please, no porn, poker, or pills.